My Cooking Passion
 
This is a blog about my cooking and bento stuffs that I make for my kids.
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Sherperd Pies
One of my favorite dish. My eldest sister Vony in Australia share with me this recipe . You can make it and freeze it. Or you can also served in in individual oven proof bowl( pyrex). If you prefer you can use mince meat or chicken . But I like chunk of meat for it tenderness and juice...
( for non alchohol version just don't use the wine)


Ingredients
Beef cut in cubes ( Rump,Flank or round part or you can use those part that we use to cook rendang or stew)
A bit of Multi purpose Flour

Onion ( and carrot if you like) both cut into small pieces
I like to add carrot if I make stew , to add the natural sweetness. Also I add the shallot here :)

100-150 cc of Red Wine
Worcester sauce ( or lee and perin sauce )
Water / beef stock
salt and pepper to taste

whole peeled tomatoes ( I dont use puree tomatoes, I use the whole peeled tomatoes , but I dont use the water inside the tomatoes ( not inside the can) because the water inside the tomatoes can be sour)

Just to show you the peeled tomatoes that I used

Additional and Optional
green peas or Mash potatoes ( to make the pies)
Rosemary if you have.

Method:
Put the cubes beef in to a plastic bag and mix with a bit of flour. Shake it until it all covered with flour. Throw the excess flour.

Here I use plastic bowl to mix the flour and meat but make sure dont put too much flour and throw the excess flour, else it will stick to the bottom of the pan and burn.

Saute the beef in a bit of oil in the frying pan until it turns golden brown ( half done )
Remove from fire and put aside

In the frying pan , saute the Onion ( with carrot if you like) with a bit of oil until fragrant.

Add in the beef chunks, red wine then let it evaporate for a while.

Then put the peeled tomatoes. Worcester sauce and add water/beef stock.And salt and pepper to taste.

Cook it with low fire , until the stock reduce and the meat become soft. You can add green peas after it is almost done.

You can just serve the beef stew like it is or to make the pies, just make mash potatoes ( you can use instant one or make from boiled potatoes add in milk and butter , very easy) . If you want to make it as pies, you can put it in individual oven proof bowl or the large oven proof dish .

This is my mash potatoes, you can put the mash potatoes on the top of the beef stew and then oven baked it for a while. Add grated parmesan cheese on top if you like.

If you like a bit of spice...add the Tabasco with it....it will give it an extra kick!

Buon Appetito !

Labels: , ,

posted by Unknown @ 12:47 AM  
2 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Unknown
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Shoutbox

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.

Links
Powered by

Blogger Templates

BLOGGER